Sunday 11 August 2013

How to: Survive Summer in New York (or any hot, humid place for that matter)

Pretty girl @Rick- Cawthard
I want to look this hot in NYC... mostly I am trying to avoid sweating to death

So I have been on hiatus again... for good reason! I have been in NYC for the past five weeks attending a pre-course for grad school. And I am going to be moving there! which is incredibly exciting, Of course I go during a heat wave, at a time of year known for being unpleasant in New York and no Hamptons or whatever to escape to. And I wasn't just gallivanting around, I had to actually, like impress people and stuff. Attempting to make a good impression while drowning in your own sweat is not an easy feat. Keeping my skin nice, and not sunburnt was top priority because pretty much everything got sweated off. So here are the few things that actually worked (which were not many) in the extreme heat and humidity of the New York summer.

1. Seriously Waterproof Sunscreen 

Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion+
Shiseido Ultimate Protection Lotion

So I started out with my physical block, gentle sunscreen but I kept sweating it off and getting weird burns everywhere I wiped my face so it was time to bring out the big guns. Shiseido, though pricey, does sunscreen well. This stuff is really light and non-pasty and most importantly stays like glue. It also still has the zinc oxide that gives the great UVA protection (the aging rays!) so it is the best of both worlds. I have mentioned why a good sunscreen is so important in my sunscreen post. I just put on a moisture serum and this in the morning and it seemed to do the job.

2. Concealer

Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil
Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil
So I need some makeup. I did get some stress zits, its a fact of life when you are under pressure. And the lack of sleep is inevitable. This is awesome (another urban decay shout-out, I know) because it is waterproof, comes in a great range of colours, is super easy to apply, and you can throw it in your purse and it doesn't melt. That's more important than you think. Despite its waterproof awesomeness, you may need more when you are dripping (eww). I basically wore this, some waterproof mascara, and some long wearing lipstick.

3. Cleanser!

Pure Melt Cleansing Gel with Marula Oil - Clarins
Clarins Pure Melt Cleansing Gel

Eventually, all the waterproof stuff needs to come off. And all the grime, sweat and pollution stuck underneath it. This cleanser is awesome even under normal Canada circumstances but in NY I put it to the test. You put in on a dry face and work it in- for awhile. It removes everything, even the eye makeup. It seems backwards to use oil on an oily face, but oil bonds with oil, lifting it out of your pores, limiting blackheads which is awesome. Then you hop in the shower and it slightly foams away taking all the grime with it. So no extra makeup removal steps, when you are lazy and come in late because no wipe is going to remove that sunscreen. And you get out and your face is so soft and it isn't all tight and stuff. Awesome.

4. Clay Mask 

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay close up The magic detox clay that every beauty buff should have in her arsenal
Health and Beauty Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay-
It Pulsates!

So I totally stole this from beautyeditor.ca but it really does work. And what is more New York than getting your masks from the Whole Foods on Union Square, am I right? I needed a cheap mask, and since I was in NY anyways... its only $7.99 how can you go wrong? it is weird because it is basically dry clay that you have to mix with water. It not very glamorous nor fancy but it does work like a damn. It seems to suck out everything, blackheads included and shrink current angry bits. It really shrinks the pores and smooths the skin; gives the Clarins cleanser a boost by sucking out the deeper stuff. The scary "It Pulsates!" on the side, is really not that scary, though i didn't apply the incredible 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer you are suppose to apply. One caveat is I probably wouldn't use this at home (aka a very dry climate) for acne, and I did apply a thick layer of moisturizer after. You could also apply a moisture mask after like I mentioned in my Mask Post.

...And soon I go back to NY! so hopefully I will get more organized post wise. until then:

What are your hot weather essentials?
Have you tried any skincare in Whole Foods?
How the heck do you style your hair?
Have you been to NYC (I need tips!)

 PLEASE “LIKE” FANTASTIC CATS BEAUTY ON FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment