Wednesday 1 January 2014

Looks I am Loving: Barbra Streisand in Hello Dolly

Barbra Streisand as Dolly Levi in Hello Dolly ! (1969)
Dolly is Fab

Ok so I have been experiencing technical difficulties. I have started my first semester of grad school and life in crazy. Also if you hadn't noticed, all the pictures on the blog disappeared for no apparent reason. So, as tedious as it is, I have been slowly working to restore all the blogs back to their former glory. I said I wasn't going to write any more until all of the old ones are fixed, but its boring! Thank God I put everything in a Pintrest folder so it isnt a total pain. Any tips fellow Blogger users? So I am working towards total blog restoration, in the meantime, here is a blog....

So on to Dolly! Not exactly a cult classic, but still awesome, Hello Dolly is a musical with Barbra Streisand as the lead character Dolly Levi directed by Gene Kelly (Gene Kelly! 'nuff said). Anyway, it is suppose to be set in 1890, but clearly the makeup is all 1969. I am pretty sure eyeliner wasn't even invented yet let alone having a full on swoop of cat eye. Not exactly period appropriate, but I am sure they make concessions for Barbra.

Barbra Streisand, Hello, Dolly!  #obsessed
[Barbra Streisand] do do do do, do do do, do do do, do do

I think what struck me about this, is that these 1960's looks have been so in the last few seasons, it is hard to get a new twist on it. I like that they have done almost like a plumy grey on her eyes in contrast with a peach cheek and lip. It is a very graphic look, but at the same time it is not a total cut crease, it is soft. It is super 60's and not 60's inspired, but it is different then the usual images of Twiggy. She is not a stick, she is not a model, and she has a great voice and a ton of personality. I like this because it is not harsh black, like many of the looks we have seen. The bit of color softens it and makes it a bit more wearable and flattering to me then the pure black and white. Obviously we are seeing a heavy does of almost white highlight on Barbra, but why not? She is a diva after all. If we are going to let her get away with period inappropriate makeup, it might as well be fabulous, over-the-top inappropriate makeup.

I think interpretations on this 60's look that have a bit of colour are also great. It is interesting to me how people take a look and run with it. Makeup is all about interpretation, and using it to fit yourself. Have fun with it and be your own version of Barbra today, maybe Beyonce tomorrow. The beauty of makeup is it washes off.

Michael Kors Fall 2013. http://votetrends.com/polls/369/share #makeup #beauty #runway #backstage
Dick Page for Micheal Kors Fall 2013
So I am going to base the look off of the original Barbra look. Obviously I have no idea what the original products were, and I am more looking at getting the essence of the look, also period inappropriate. As always, I am not trying to completely copy it and I highly suggest playing with it and tweaking it for your own eye shape. Its about getting the diva feeling and becoming your own diva.

Hello Dolly
Diva
So and on to the look! I am going to start with the eyes before anything else even my foundation because with such a bold look like this , you want the edges crisp and you don't want fall out from the dark shadows. This way, if you screw up, you don't to redo everything, and if you have shadow fallout, it is no big deal, you and just wipe it off and do the rest of your makeup. This is a good tip for any eye-heavy makeup look. Remember to curl your eyelashes in prep. Also...

Primer
I am using an eye primer which is super important for a look like this. It keeps the makeup from moving and keeps the soft crease in this looks from turning into creases. I am using the Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin, a light shimmery pink, which seems like a good base colour to me. I put it all the way up to the brow bone and on the bottom lash line

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Sin Review - News - Bubblews
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin

Eyeshadow
Good or bad everyone seems to have a Naked palette. I am using it to give examples of colours that would work, plus Urban Decay shadows are fantastic. Gives you an idea of what you can do with something you already have, or should have. The Naked palettes are a great investment.

Naked Palette by Urban Decay (Official Site)
Ubiquitous Urban Decay Naked Palette

I have used the colors Toasted, Hustle, and Creep. I started with Toasted, using it to cover the entire lid and just above. Then I used Hustle to define the crease loosely using the flat side of the brush and winging it out a little bit. I also use a bit of the Hustle along the lower lash line two-thirds of the way.Then, using a small amount of Creep, using the thin side of the brush, running it along in the crease to get more depth and that "line" crease that is so 60's. I like to blend it out a bit more then Barbra's to make it  a bit more modern, but you could sharpen it up if you want by doing a cut crease with pencil liner (A good tutorial for this is from the Queen of Blending it is using the Theodora Palette but still very applicable).

Eye Liner
For this bold of a line, I used a gel eye liner with a crisp angle brush. This is easier to do then a liquid I think. make your flick of your cat eye first by placing the brush at the angle you want the flick, then draw your line across the rest of your lid and connect; I find this the easiest. There is another really great tutorial on xoVain by Annie on how to do this. Annie uses the Estee Lauder gel liner too, which I also really like. I used Stay Coffee for this, an almost brown/black because it is slightly softer than the black-black but you could always use black like Annie and Barbra.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Gel Eyeliner
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Gel Eyeliner
Add a ton of mascara, maybe even some falsies and the eyes are done. Do any clean up you need to do under the eye from eyeshadow falling underneath.

Base
Stick with what you usually use for your base. I am preferring something more matte for this look to be a bit more period appropriate, or a topping of some powder. This is a full-on look so it can be a bit "done".

Highlighter
So Barbra clearly has some highlighter, and a generous dose. Follow my highlighter post for application. I used an extra dose in a straight line right along the cheek bones, under the brows, the inner corner of the eyes and the cupids bow. I am using one of my old time favorites from Shiseido. Its has a bit of sheen, but not overly sparkly. In the original, it was probably a matte white, but this looks a bit more natural. Call it artistic licence.

Shiseido Makeup Luminizing Satin Face Color in WT 905
Shiseido Makeup Luminizing Satin Face Color in WT 905

Blush
For this, you need something not too intense and peachy. For more like Barbra, apply beneath the cheek bones fading away from the hairline. For more modern, apply just above the apples, under the highlighter and blend out. I used a Revlon classic, the powder blush in Tawny Peach.

Revlon Powder Blush
Revlon Powder Blush in Tawny Peach

Lips
The lips are not the focal point of the look and are very neutral, as well as harmonizing with the blush. I picked another Revlon product, a matte lipstick. For mattes, I find it is good to prep with a bit of lip balm because they are quite drying and then a layer of neutral lip pencil before applying. I love this colour, it is a unique, very retro colour. Again, to modernize you could go with a light peach gloss.

Revlon Matte Lipstick in Smoked Peach | LUUUX
Revlon Matte Lipstick in Smoked Peach

Nails
For the finishing touch, Nails!!! Barbra is known for her nails. They are super long, and almond shaped.

I am obsessed with her nails
Not from Hello Dolly, rather Funny Girl a year earlier in 1968. But she has the same nails.
 They are always cream at this point time. And fab. The nails are bonus points, but they are part of the complete package. Extra, extra bonus for having them long or donning some fake ones. I have picked another Revlon product surprisingly. They are impressing me lately; this new polish formula is amazingly good. I have picked it in a solid, light, cream colour that is not quite white, which seems as close as I can get to Barbra.

NOTD: Revlon "Pale Cashmere" | Warm French Onion Soup: What I Blog About When I Blog
Revlon Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel in Pink Cashmere.
Picture stolen from Warm French Onion Soup Blog
And voila! you are done. Get your inner diva on, and belt it. 
It is the best I could manage for a video where you could actually see the makeup, but at least you can get a taste for it.



Also, this, because you know interpretation is everything:


So...
Are you a Barbra Streisand fan?
Do you get inspiration from old movies?
Do you like these "Look" posts?
What is your favorite 60's interpretation look?

No comments:

Post a Comment